[Scons-users] About contributing to your project

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Fri Nov 4 13:29:10 EDT 2022

On 11/4/22 11:04, Michael Potter wrote:

> Here are two things that I think would be beneficial to get done for
> someone new to the project:
>
> Get the documentation up to date.
>
> The context of that question is: historically, I have asked a question
> about documentation and someone will tell me that doc is old and I
> should be using different documentation.
>
> This is a common issue with open source projects: The doc gets stale or
> needs to reference the version that the doc is good for.

FWIW,

Docs are always an important topic.  I've been making lots of updates
over the last couple of years, and in particular when someone is
confused, I try to see if there's something we can do to explain that
topic better. Fresh eyes always have a different view on things, though,
so that's always valuable.

What we haven't solved is that a "google" search may well turn up an
older version of the docs.  We do have a link that's always pointing to
the current edition, the hint is it has the word "production" in it, like:

https://scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-user/index.html

It would take some web development work to always put up a banner on
older versions (ones which contain a version number in them), with a
pointer to the current version - especially without going back and
modifying old docs (which may or may not be possible any longer, e.g.
the API docs were produced, until fairly recently, by a tools that is no
longer supported and doesn't run on modern Python). Nonetheless, life
would be better if we could do this.

Sliding a little off topic, I am - this wasn't originally a question on
how the website could be modified :)