[Scons-users] Scons always rebuilding

Stijn De Ruyck Stijn.DeRuyck at onsemi.com
Tue Oct 27 07:35:56 EDT 2020

Hello,

We are in the process of migrating our development environment from individual workstations to a compute grid. In other words from local files & DistCC to NFS shares & LSF.
We notice Scons 4.0.1 on Python 3.6.5/3.8.0 using the MD5 or MD5-timestamp decider is always rebuilding all targets. Scons thinks all dependencies have always changed even for what should be a no-op build.

Source, target & external dependencies are on a single NFS share. Jobs are being submitted by wrapping g++ in LSF's bsub command in the Scons CXX environment variable, similar to what we did with DistCC, which worked fine, but with DistCC everything was stored on local disks...

Example --debug=explain when rerunning on a previous successful build:

scons: rebuilding `build/debug/base/Date.o' because:
           `base/Date.cc' is no longer a dependency
           `base/Date.cc' is a new dependency
           `base/Date.icc' changed
           `base/BaseTypes.h' changed
 (...)
           `base/String.icc' changed
           `base/String.tcc' changed
           `/site/custom/tools/lsf/prod/prod/linux2.6-glibc2.3-x86_64/bin/bsub' changed
bsub -I -n1 g++ -o build/debug/base/Date.o -c [...] -I/devel/tme/deps/include -I. base/Date.cc

Any advice? :/

Regards,

Stijn