[Scons-users] VB: SCons fails to build

Mats Wichmann mats at wichmann.us
Tue Oct 9 15:35:24 EDT 2018

On 10/09/2018 10:07 AM, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Can you provide a sample SConstruct this happens with?
> It's possible the error is in some command string you're passing.
>
> And/or you're trying to run a binary which isn't in the default PATH set by
> SCons, so you either need to copy the PATH from your shell and/or add the
> path to
> env['ENV']['PATH'] or use the full path to the tool
>

>> When I build I get the error from Scons: “No such file or directory”.
>> From the debugger I found out that the function exec_subprocess in
>> SCons/platform/posix.py get an exception from the subprocess.Popen call,
>> see below. The same build system work fine on an Arch Linux or MSYS. So
>> something with the combination of Ubuntu and SCons causes this problem.
>>

>> Has anyone experience the same problem and/or have an solution for this?
>>

>> posix.py:
>>
>> ….
>>
>> 63 def exec_subprocess(l, env):
>> 64     proc = subprocess.Popen(l, env = env, close_fds = True)
>> 65     return proc.wait()

near as I can tell, this function is _only_ called from subprocess_spawn
like this:

def subprocess_spawn(sh, escape, cmd, args, env):
    return exec_subprocess([sh, '-c', ' '.join(args)], env)

which is in turn set up by default this way:

SHELL: 'sh'
SPAWN: <function subprocess_spawn at 0x7f7fe858c158>

Is there any chance you've reset SHELL in your environment? To something
that is not found on your Ubuntu system? An example would indeed be good.