[Scons-users] Provide default Import to SConscript

Jason Kenny dragon512 at live.com
Wed Feb 21 15:21:12 EST 2018

>> I want a single super repo for
>> everything a project requires, as compared to be able to build
>> independent small things and then stitch them together.

I think that is not Parts... Parts is about building everything you need in one place.. given that be using the a large repo with everything in it or having Part grab data from different areas. Parts is about making it easy to manage a build with lots of components. Projects I had at Intel had 1200+ component in it. it would build all of this as a massive unified build. I recall the output being over 50GB ( object files and debug info ) The point for Parts is that component A make some output file called joe.so and otehr components need it. Parts pass this around. So cross-building is easy and if joe becomes josh.so there is one change in one file and everything works. The current SCons/Make way is to have to change this value in every place that uses component A. I should also point out the idea of a Part is to help manage the large chaos of large projects, it also adds other stuff so one should be able to use standard SCons stuff and get improved toolchain logic etc. That is the intent, however everyone I talk to rather componentize/project the build to make it more flexible. Still, Parts might not be useful for you.