[Scons-users] Provide default Import to SConscript

Hua Yanghao huayanghao at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 14:59:10 EST 2018

Hi Bill,

> SCons is meant to be a python based make replacement.

This is actually very much not true. Make is really just dispatching
commands/keeping track of dependencies and timestamps ... it does not
provide any Scons Tools libraries etc. In my view somehow scons is
stuck in the middle of "Make" and a comprehensive build framework like
"Kbuild", more accurate, yet more difficult compared to pure Make for
small things, and yet again more difficult compared to full-fledged
build system due to the lack of a common build framework.

> What your suggesting is probably more along the lines of Parts? (Jason)
> (Which is build on top of SCons).

I think I saw parts project quite some time ago on company intranet
... , but wasn't really what I wanted. I want a single super repo for
everything a project requires, as compared to be able to build
independent small things and then stitch them together. Kbuild is
really what I wanted, kbuild would be perfect if it is build on top of
python instead of those eye-hurting shell script ... so  I setup and
build a extremely similar (even better in many ways such as
inter-configuration dependencies) thing in python/scons (only took a
few days for the very first working version).

> So if I understand properly, you want to add an alternative version of
> SConscript where the files would be presented and entirely different set of
> globals to work with?

Yes, exactly. to bring SConscript from stone-age to industrial-age,
and yet still allow you to use chisel if you insist ... :)

Best Regards,
Yangao