[Scons-users] Provide default Import to SConscript

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Feb 21 15:22:51 EST 2018

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 2:59 PM, Hua Yanghao <huayanghao at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> > SCons is meant to be a python based make replacement.
>
> This is actually very much not true.

>From the scons.or website:
"SCons is an Open Source software construction tool—that is, a
next-generation build tool. Think of SCons as an improved, cross-platform
substitute for the classic Make utility with integrated functionality
similar to autoconf/automake and compiler caches such as ccache. In short,
SCons is an easier, more reliable and faster way to build software."

> Make is really just dispatching
> commands/keeping track of dependencies and timestamps ... it does not
> provide any Scons Tools libraries etc. In my view somehow scons is
> stuck in the middle of "Make" and a comprehensive build framework like
> "Kbuild", more accurate, yet more difficult compared to pure Make for
> small things, and yet again more difficult compared to full-fledged
> build system due to the lack of a common build framework.

How much time are you willing to commit to development and ongoing support
of your changes?

> > What your suggesting is probably more along the lines of Parts? (Jason)
> > (Which is build on top of SCons).
>
> I think I saw parts project quite some time ago on company intranet
> ... , but wasn't really what I wanted. I want a single super repo for
> everything a project requires, as compared to be able to build
> independent small things and then stitch them together. Kbuild is
> really what I wanted, kbuild would be perfect if it is build on top of
> python instead of those eye-hurting shell script ... so  I setup and
> build a extremely similar (even better in many ways such as
> inter-configuration dependencies) thing in python/scons (only took a
> few days for the very first working version).
>
> > So if I understand properly, you want to add an alternative version of
> > SConscript where the files would be presented and entirely different set
> of
> > globals to work with?
>
> Yes, exactly. to bring SConscript from stone-age to industrial-age,
> and yet still allow you to use chisel if you insist ... :)

That's nice. Good luck with your efforts.