[Scons-users] Asciidoc sample chapter

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Mon Jan 11 16:35:38 EST 2016

On Pon, 2016-01-11 at 20:40 +0100, Dirk Bächle wrote:

Hiya Dirk,

> funny that "complex" fits exactly the task(s) that we're tackling
> while using Docbook currently. ;)

Well, I still believe that those 'complex' tasks can be handled in a
more simple way.

> I found this article too...but couldn't get docbookrx to get working
> on my machine.

Same here.

> And I also still doubt that it's able to handle our DocBook extensions
> properly.

For that it would be maybe better to look at AsciiDoc(tor)
documentation.

> Yes, this might be interesting indeed. But while no one jumps on this
> task to put your idea to practice, you probably don't mind if
> we simply continue with what we have now? :)

Sure, go ahead. ;)

> P.S.: Sorry, for my tone above...which might come across a little
> "harsh".

I didn't find it harsh at all and it's natural that you're critic
against innovation within the project. ;)

> But after a while these attempts of "improving the
> toolchain, by simply converting to XYZ" by people who finally back
> out, when realizing what this task really entails, can get boring
> sometimes...don't take it personal, it's me being in a grumpy mood
> today. ;)

Frankly speaking, for the SCons as python project, I'd usually
expect/advise to simply use rst/Sphinx which is used for so many python-
based projects. However, due to your entanglement with DocBook I still
believe AsciiDoc is better solution since it's meant to interoperate
with DocBook by making things simple where it's important.

DocBook might serve nicely as storage format, but to write XML is, imho,
simply not human.

Sincerely,
Gour

--
Even if you are considered to be the most sinful of all sinners,
when you are situated in the boat of transcendental knowledge