[Scons-users] Asciidoc sample chapter

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jan 11 14:40:23 EST 2016

Gour,

On 11.01.2016 14:28, Saša Janiška wrote:
> On Pon, 2016-01-11 at 10:24 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:
>
>> I have to pull in a whole mass of dependencies to get a DocBook/XML
>> toolchain working, so I think a few extra dependencies to work with
>> ASCIIDoc or ASCIIDoctor is hardly a big deal.
>
> I never did much with DocBook toolchain finding it extremely
> ugly/complex,

funny that "complex" fits exactly the task(s) that we're tackling while using Docbook currently. ;)

 > but found the following post:
>
> https://blogs.gnome.org/pmkovar/2015/10/27/converting-docbook-into-ascii
> doc/
>
> explaining the procedure using docbookrx
> (https://github.com/opendevise/docbookrx) tool to do the work.

I found this article too...but couldn't get docbookrx to get working on my machine. And I also still doubt that it's able to handle
our DocBook extensions properly.

> If someone is more knowledgeable with DocBook it might be interesting to
> see how it goes...

Yes, this might be interesting indeed. But while no one jumps on this task to put your idea to practice, you probably don't mind if
we simply continue with what we have now? :)

P.S.: Sorry, for my tone above...which might come across a little "harsh". But after a while these attempts of "improving the
toolchain, by simply converting to XYZ" by people who finally back out, when realizing what this task really entails, can get boring
sometimes...don't take it personal, it's me being in a grumpy mood today. ;)