[Scons-users] Asidoc sample chapter (was Re: Sphinx builder)

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jan 11 03:29:32 EST 2016

Gour,

On 10.01.2016 15:47, Saša Janiška wrote:
> On Ned, 2016-01-10 at 13:29 +0100, Dirk Bächle wrote:
>
> Hiya Dirk,
>
>> then, if you're sure that AsciiDoc is already up to the task, please
>> provide an AsciiDoc version of the UserGuide (archive format
>> with all converted XML documents) as example, such that I can simply
>> run an export to DocBook. If I like the output you might have
>> won me over...
>
> First of all it looks as SCOns does not use 'pure' DocBook and not being

you're correct...it was (and still is) my main point in convincing you (and others) that a migration isn't as easy as running a
simple conversion script.

> expert with the latter I just converted one (largest) chapter from the
> user manual (to whet your appetite) via Pandoc into AsciiDoc(tor) and
> then created HTML out of it as well as Docbook45/5 versions of the same
> chapter.

My appetite is (only) somewhat whettened. I had a first look a the document, and all entities (like &SCons;) are gone and haven't
bee retrieved correctly. I assume this is easy to fix? And I'm also missing the "scons_example" parts from the original document.

> To provide full manual, one would have to be become more familiar with
> DocBook and the build itself, but I'm sure that with some scripting it
> can be done.

Yes, I agree. Please work on this some more, you'll have to provide a full replacement anyway...so better start with the critical
issues first.

> The cmd used in Pandoc was:
>
> pandoc -f docbook -t asciidoc -o chapter.ascc chapter.xml
>
> For AsciiDoctor the cmds are as follows:

Isn't AsciiDoctor written in Ruby? If yes, this would add another dependency to our toolchain...which might be tolerable but it's
certainly a point to discuss.