[Scons-users] Why SCons is not slow

William Blevins wblevins001 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 7 12:01:46 EST 2016

Some quick notes.

V/R,
William

On Thu, Jan 7, 2016 at 9:31 AM, Saša Janiška <gour at atmarama.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> after some delay (few years), I'm again in the position to start working
> on my project (multi-platform & open-source desktop app) and although
> some "modern" languages (Go,Julia, Nim, Rust..." have evolved in the
> meantime, after some re-evaluation, my conclusion is that Python+PyQt is
> still the best combination productivity-wise with the prospect of
> achieving decent performance.
>
> Due to having need to bind 3rd party C library, building docs etc. I
> checked what is the status of SCons...watched very nice presentation by
> Dirk titled "Why SCons is not slow" and wonder whether one can consider
> that there are no more performance issues when using SCons, especially
> when not having (extra)large project?

All large systems eventually run into scalability problems. SCons handles
dependencies as accurately as possible, and sometimes those dependencies do
not scale linearly, but this is a problem of all systems.

The stub-wrapper is still in the works, but the memory optimizations have
been completed and are available in the latest distribution.
Once the stub-process wrapper is complete, I think all the planned
performance improvements will be complete.

> Another well-established build system is CMake, but involves learning a
> new language while SCons seems to be more logical for Python+PyQt
> project, but I'm interested how does SCons compare with it when one
> consider multi-platform builds?
>
> I use Debian (Sid) as native development platform, but would like to
> provide packages for Windows/Mac OS. Afaict, SCons can build project
> files for VS/Xcode, but is there any plan to provide something like
> CMake's CPack to help with preparing installers/bundles and/or how do
> SCons users handle those issues?
>
> Another point is Python-3 port...I plan to use Python-3 and PyQt-5.x and
> according to 2.4.1 release notes it's last 2.x-only relase, so wonder
> what is the plan in regard to (2.5.x) release with Python-3 support?

Python 3 support is still incomplete, but there is an effort to make the
current baseline Python 3 compatible.