[Scons-users] Why SCons is not slow

Saša Janiška gour at atmarama.com
Thu Jan 7 04:31:54 EST 2016

Hello,

after some delay (few years), I'm again in the position to start working
on my project (multi-platform & open-source desktop app) and although
some "modern" languages (Go,Julia, Nim, Rust..." have evolved in the
meantime, after some re-evaluation, my conclusion is that Python+PyQt is
still the best combination productivity-wise with the prospect of
achieving decent performance.

Due to having need to bind 3rd party C library, building docs etc. I
checked what is the status of SCons...watched very nice presentation by
Dirk titled "Why SCons is not slow" and wonder whether one can consider
that there are no more performance issues when using SCons, especially
when not having (extra)large project?

Another well-established build system is CMake, but involves learning a
new language while SCons seems to be more logical for Python+PyQt
project, but I'm interested how does SCons compare with it when one
consider multi-platform builds?

I use Debian (Sid) as native development platform, but would like to
provide packages for Windows/Mac OS. Afaict, SCons can build project
files for VS/Xcode, but is there any plan to provide something like
CMake's CPack to help with preparing installers/bundles and/or how do
SCons users handle those issues?

Another point is Python-3 port...I plan to use Python-3 and PyQt-5.x and
according to 2.4.1 release notes it's last 2.x-only relase, so wonder
what is the plan in regard to (2.5.x) release with Python-3 support?

Sincerely,
Gour

--
As the ignorant perform their duties with attachment to results,
the learned may similarly act, but without attachment, for the