[Scons-users] Need clarifications about --implicit-deps-unchanged

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Thu Dec 15 16:33:35 EST 2016

On Thu, Dec 15, 2016 at 10:50 AM, Pierre-Luc Boily <
pierreluc.boily at gmail.com> wrote:

> Adding "/All the flag says to SCons is don't try to determine if there are
> new dependencies.
> It still check's dependencies to see if targets are out of date./" makes
> things much clearer yes!  This is not what I understood at first.
>
> Knowing this, I think we could use most of the time
> --implicit-deps-unchanged option?  In our case, we rarely add new
> dependencies.

Sure. If you're doing compile/edit/rebuild, you can also try interactive
mode.
Just be aware that --implicit-deps-unchanged will miss changed implicit
dependencies.

Are you explicitly specifying the tools you use?
On startup some time is spent checking all the default tools, if you limit
the set which get initialized, scons will run a bit faster.
(Especially relevant when doing incremental builds as the tool
initialization can represent a larger percentage of total time)

> Also, just realized that you said in your first answer that
> --implicit-deps-unchanged is not supposed to bu uses with "scons -u"  Why?
> I my test, i can clearly see performance improvement.

What I said was "I'm not sure why you mention scons -u here? It's not
relevant to the function of --implicit-deps-unchanged."
Using -u doesn't alter the functining of --implicit-deps-unchanged.
I didn't say they shouldn't be used together.

-Bill