[Scons-users] scons 64bit Windows installer questions

Thomas Berg merlin66b at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 09:15:31 EST 2015

Hi,

At my dayjob we have a 64bit python 2.7 installation on all machines. As
you know, the official scons installer only finds 32 bit versions of python.

One commonly cited workaround is to download the src package and run python
setup.py.

A better solution for us is to create an installer from scons sources using
x64 python, because this creates an installer that actually finds 64 bit
pythons.
(it would be great if this could be built and made officially available by
the way)

Question 1:
I've been able to build the scons installer myself in the past, but not in
recent versions of the scons codebase. I've checked out the scons 2.3.4
source now. Does anyone know which dependencies that are mandatory or
what's wrong? I get this error message:
> python bootstrap.py.
[...]
gzip not found in <PATH>
doc: No PDF renderer found (fop|xep)!
doc: ...skipping building User Guide.
doc: command line epydoc is not found, skipping PDF/PS/Tex output
Not building in a Mercurial or Subversion tree; skipping building src
package.
scons: done reading SConscript files.
scons: Building targets ...
[...]
scons: *** [build\scons\scons.1] Source `build\doc\man\scons.1' not found,
needed by target `build\scons\scons.1'.

Question 2:
Why does setup.py not install the files in the same location as the 32bit
installer?
When I try, setup.py produces this installation:
C:\Python27\scons.bat
C:\Python27\scons-2.3.4.bat
C:\Python27\scons-2.3.4\SCons (directory)
C:\Python27\Scripts\scons.py (+ a few more scripts)

The installer is different: it places all scripts under
C:\Python27\Scripts, and the scons package will be under site-packages
instead of directly under Python27.

This is a problem for us, because until now we have just copied the win32
installation over to the x64 python. If you now run setup.py, it does not
overwrite the old scons.bat under C:\Python27\Scripts, only creating a new
one under C:\Python27. In our setup the Scripts folder is first in the PATH.

Thanks for any help,
Thomas