[Scons-users] Possible bug with Value objects

Tom Tanner (BLOOMBERG/ LONDON) ttanner2 at bloomberg.net
Fri Feb 27 11:48:18 EST 2015

I've been trying to get my head round this, but it appears that the code to explain why a build has happened has problems with Value objects.

Example SConstruct

e = Command('wibble', 'a', 'echo boo >> $TARGET')
Depends(e, Value('a value'))

Run this, note it builds

now change the SConstruct to this

e = Command('wibble', 'a', 'echo eek >> $TARGET')
Depends(e, Value('a value'))

scons --debug=explain says:

scons: Building targets ...
scons: rebuilding `wibble' because:
`a value' is no longer a dependency
`a value' is a new dependency
echo boo >> wibble

Firstly:
"a value" hasn't changed. The command action has.

Secondly: Why does scons not say the command action has changed if there's been a dependency change? It seems to me it'd be more helpful if it didn't suppress that information.