[Scons-users] minor website improvements

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Thu Dec 24 15:45:07 EST 2015

Hello,

As I was searching for scons documentation, I ran into a few minor
issues. Hopefully they are easy to fix:

* Googling for scons-related help brings up lots of documentation links
to older versions of the docs, which appear to be available without
being explicitly listed in http://www.scons.org/. I suggest that:

   - more versions of docs are explicitly listed on
http://www.scons.org/ (or perhaps a separate "older releases" page).
     For example, Fedora 23 comes with scons 2.3.6,  and I suspect that
many distributions contain even older version.
     It would be good to allow users to find the corresponding docs more
easily.

   - Include a link in all older versions that points to the current
version. If people just follow the google links they may end up
     reading outdated documentation without noticing it.

little outdated. Since you are now using Mailman, it might be
   easiest to refer to the associated archives (e.g.
https://pairlist4.pair.net/pipermail/scons-users/) rather than some
external
   archival service (e.g. GMANE)

* It would be extremely useful to have a search facility built into the
website.

I know, all of the above takes effort to implement, so please take these
suggestions constructively. I have no idea what tools were used to build
the current website, and how difficult it is to change / add to.
"Patches are welcome" is a perfectly fine reply to all of this. ;-)

Best,
        Stefan