[Scons-users] feature request

Stefan Seefeld stefan at seefeld.name
Thu Dec 24 01:17:45 EST 2015

On 24.12.2015 01:01, Bill Deegan wrote:
> Stefan,
>
> If you are asking if SCons has a predefined set of compiler flags for
> multi-threaded, optimized,etc, then the answer is no.

OK.
> If you are asking if it is possible to setup such a system with the
> appropriate flags for each possible compiler/platform, then the answer
> is yes and many have done this before.

That's what I expected / hoped to hear.

> There are many open source projects using SCons to build many flavors
> on many platforms with the same SCons scripts.

I was actually hoping to get some references to such scripts to borrow
ideas from. (I'm currently using
https://svn.boost.org/svn/boost/sandbox/SCons/tools/scons/boost-build-variants.py,
which only works for gcc)

Even further, if this is recognized as a common need, wouldn't it be a
good idea to establish a "standard" way to do this, so people don't have
to reinvent it again ? (There are many things I dislike about
Boost.Build, but this is one of the worthwhile features that I would
very much like to see in other build tools, too.)

Thanks,
        Stefan