[Scons-users] Trouble installing package on a supercomputer.

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Sep 10 14:48:16 EDT 2014

Hi Ray; SCons itself shouldn't care about filesystems or licenses.  Most
probably whatever package you're trying to use SCons to build has set
things up in a way that isn't working at your site.

Your first error refers to a "site.settings" file; that's not part of
SCons.  It's probably part of the software you're trying to build.  Your
Environment() line looks fine to me.

Your second error, Error: A license for CCompL is not available
(-76,61026,2), is I think from the Intel compiler.  Probably again your
software has set itself up to build with the Intel compiler tool (which is
shipped with SCons); you may need to set an env var (os.environ, or
env['ENV']) to tell the compiler where your license is.  I think that env
var is documented in the Intel compiler installation docs.

On Wed, Sep 10, 2014 at 2:36 PM, Ray Sheppard <rsheppar at iu.edu> wrote:

> Hello,
>   I am quite lost.  If I sent this to the wrong place, I apologize.
> Please direct me to the correct address. SCons seems to
> believe that it has control of the various file systems and that
> everything is where it expects it should be.  On a supercomputer, that
> is not the case.  I gave up on the Cray entirely.  Now I am just trying
> to build with Intel on a large cluster.  Using your FAQ, I tried to tell
> it to import my environment with:
> env = Environment(ENV = {'PATH' : path})
>
> However, that returns:
>   File "site.settings", line 23, in <module>
> NameError: name 'Environment' is not defined
> scons: done reading SConscript files.
>
> Maybe I should Environment predeclared somewhere else, but I did not
> see where that might be.  Also related, the SCons system seems to look
> for licenses where none are needed (or exist).
>
> scons: Building targets ...
> mpiCC -o
> build/src/release/linux/2.6/64/x86/icc/13.1/mpi-static/
> apps/public/AbinitioRelax.o
> -c -Wp64 -wd279,2259,1682 -ip -O3 -Qoption,c,-ip_ninl_max_stats=500
> -Qoption,c,-ip_ninl_max_total_stats=5000 -DNDEBUG -DUSEMPI
> -DEXIT_THROWS_EXCEPTION -Isrc -Iexternal/include
> -Isrc/platform/linux/64/icc/13.1 -Isrc/platform/linux/64/icc
> -Isrc/platform/linux/64 -Isrc/platform/linux -Iexternal/boost_1_46_1
> -Iexternal/dbio -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include
> src/apps/public/AbinitioRelax.cc
>
> Error: A license for CCompL is not available (-76,61026,2).
>
> License file(s) used were (in this order):...
>
> However, an interactive compile of that line works just fine.  I found
> the Module keywords in the scinet settings, however, nothing seems to
> change its mind.
>
> My site settings have changed a lot in the past week.  Currently it
> looks like this:
> import os
> ## env = Environment(ENV = os.environ)
> settings = {
>     "site" : {
>                     "prepends" : {
>             "program_path" : os.environ["PATH"].split(":"),
> #            "include_path" : os.environ["INCLUDE"].split(":"),
>             "library_path" : os.environ["LD_LIBRARY_PATH"].split(":"),
>         },
>         "appends" : {
>                                                 "defines" :
> ["EXIT_THROWS_EXCEPTION"],
>         },
>         "overrides" : {
>                     "ENV" : {
> "LIBRARY_PATH":os.environ["LIBRARY_PATH"],
> "LD_LIBRARY_PATH":os.environ["LD_LIBRARY_PATH"],
> "CPATH":os.environ["CPATH"],
> "PATH":os.environ["PATH"],
> "MODULEPATH":os.environ["MODULEPATH"],
> "MODULESHOME":os.environ["MODULESHOME"],
>                 }
>         },
>             "mpi" : {
>                     "overrides" : {

> [...]