[Scons-users] Trouble installing package on a supercomputer.

Ray Sheppard rsheppar at iu.edu
Wed Sep 10 14:36:19 EDT 2014

Hello,
   I am quite lost.  If I sent this to the wrong place, I apologize.
Please direct me to the correct address. SCons seems to
believe that it has control of the various file systems and that
everything is where it expects it should be.  On a supercomputer, that
is not the case.  I gave up on the Cray entirely.  Now I am just trying
to build with Intel on a large cluster.  Using your FAQ, I tried to tell
it to import my environment with:
env = Environment(ENV = {'PATH' : path})

However, that returns:
   File "site.settings", line 23, in <module>
NameError: name 'Environment' is not defined
scons: done reading SConscript files.

Maybe I should Environment predeclared somewhere else, but I did not
see where that might be.  Also related, the SCons system seems to look
for licenses where none are needed (or exist).

scons: Building targets ...
mpiCC -o
build/src/release/linux/2.6/64/x86/icc/13.1/mpi-static/apps/public/AbinitioRelax.o
-c -Wp64 -wd279,2259,1682 -ip -O3 -Qoption,c,-ip_ninl_max_stats=500
-Qoption,c,-ip_ninl_max_total_stats=5000 -DNDEBUG -DUSEMPI
-DEXIT_THROWS_EXCEPTION -Isrc -Iexternal/include
-Isrc/platform/linux/64/icc/13.1 -Isrc/platform/linux/64/icc
-Isrc/platform/linux/64 -Isrc/platform/linux -Iexternal/boost_1_46_1
-Iexternal/dbio -I/usr/include -I/usr/local/include
src/apps/public/AbinitioRelax.cc

Error: A license for CCompL is not available (-76,61026,2).

License file(s) used were (in this order):...

However, an interactive compile of that line works just fine.  I found
the Module keywords in the scinet settings, however, nothing seems to
change its mind.

My site settings have changed a lot in the past week.  Currently it
looks like this:
import os
## env = Environment(ENV = os.environ)
settings = {
     "site" : {
                     "prepends" : {
             "program_path" : os.environ["PATH"].split(":"),
#            "include_path" : os.environ["INCLUDE"].split(":"),
             "library_path" : os.environ["LD_LIBRARY_PATH"].split(":"),
         },
         "appends" : {
                                                 "defines" : ["EXIT_THROWS_EXCEPTION"],
         },
         "overrides" : {
                     "ENV" : {
"LIBRARY_PATH":os.environ["LIBRARY_PATH"],
"LD_LIBRARY_PATH":os.environ["LD_LIBRARY_PATH"],
"CPATH":os.environ["CPATH"],
"PATH":os.environ["PATH"],
"MODULEPATH":os.environ["MODULEPATH"],
"MODULESHOME":os.environ["MODULESHOME"],
                 }
         },
             "mpi" : {
                     "overrides" : {
                                 "cxx"           : "mpicxx"
                                         },
                                             },

         "removes" : {
         },
     },
}

Hopefully, y'all see something simple a newbie like me is missing.
  Does this system have a place where the package developers must put a
target dependency file?  If I could find it, I am beginning to think
it would be easier to strip it out and just build the package with gmake.
Thanks.
                     Ray

--
                          Respectfully,
                            Ray Sheppard
                            RSheppar at iu.edu
                            http://rt.uits.iu.edu/systems/SciAPT
                            317-274-0016

                    Principal Analyst
                    Senior Technical Lead
                    Scientific Applications and Performance Tuning
                    Research Technologies
                    University Information Technological Services
                    IUPUI campus
                    Indiana University

    My "pithy" saying:  Science is the art of translating the world
        into language. Unfortunately, that language is mathematics.
    Bumper sticker wisdom: Make it idiot-proof and they will make a
        better idiot.