[Scons-users] Additional help text support

Brian Cody brian.j.cody at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 11:37:11 EST 2014

Hello fellow scons users!

At my place of work we use scons today for compiling many (mostly c++) projects. Each project is compiled using its own SConstruct. There is no top-level scons build file. We are in the process of redesigning our layout such that projects are logically separated from the code that supports them. Instead, a pool of code will be available for the various projects, and the projects wire in the necessary code.

We're anticipating a lot of overlap between source code and projects where several projects will depend on the same source code built with the same tool chain. To reduce duplicated compilation effort, we're exploring the option of a single sconstruct to rule them all at the top level. Today each project has a multitude for build options, and while they are overwhelmingly similar, there are a number of special targets and build options that are unique per project. Therefore I think we would benefit from being able to get help text on a per project basis. Maybe it would be implemented in a fashion like "scons -h project1", where project1 could potentially be an actual build target.

I did some browsing of the enhancements and features that are currently listed as open and I think this behavior hasn't been requested yet. So I was wondering...

Is there a way today to meet the goal of what I'm describing?

If not, does anyone else see value in the feature that I'm mentioning?

If they do, how should the feature be entered, and what resources would I use when implementing the feature and submitting a patch?

Thanks
-Brian