[Scons-users] Problems installing scons with src/setup.py

Matias Iturburu matias.iturburu at tallertechnologies.com
Mon Jan 6 12:05:45 EST 2014

2014/1/6 Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de>

> On 06.01.2014 15:37, Leandro Moreno wrote:

> Hello guys. Earlier days I send an e-mail asking if I can use the QMTest

> module and runtest.py outside of SCons.

> I tried install with easy_install and there is a installation problem. So,

> I downloaded the source code and I tried to run src/setup.py by myself. The

> script has some errors, when I resolve them, I realized that SCons was

> installed in lib/ as "*scons-__VERSION__*". How can I change this

> variable?

> Hi Leandro,

> from what you're describing I think you might be on the wrong track. Can

> you please tell us exactly which "source code" you downloaded (full name of

> the archive?) and tried to install?

> It looks a bit as if you pulled the full source code from the repository,

> and then tried a "setup.py install" immediately. This won't work, you have

> to "bootstrap" SCons first (this will replace the __VERSION__ string in all

> source files automatically, for example).

Yes. That's the case.
So... What is the workflow for releasing a python egg from the source
repository?
We want to know because the package on pypi acts as it installs scons but
there are no sources downloaded.

> Please try to download and install the source tarball "scons-2.3.0.tar.gz"

> from scons.org instead. Otherwise, please have look in the file

> README.rst at sections "Executing SCons without installing" and

> "Installation".

> Best regards,

> Dirk

<http://www.tallertechnologies.com>
Matías Iturburu
Software Engineer

*San Lorenzo 47, 3rd Floor, Office 5 Córdoba, Argentina *

*Phone: +54 351 4217888 / +54 351 4218211 Skype: matias.iturburu*