[Scons-users] Problems installing scons with src/setup.py

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jan 6 12:15:21 EST 2014

On 06.01.2014 18:05, Matias Iturburu wrote:

> 2014/1/6 Dirk Bächle <tshortik at gmx.de <mailto:tshortik at gmx.de>>

> On 06.01.2014 15:37, Leandro Moreno wrote:

>> Hello guys. Earlier days I send an e-mail asking if I can use the

>> QMTest module and runtest.py outside of SCons.

>> I tried install with easy_install and there is a installation

>> problem. So, I downloaded the source code and I tried to run

>> src/setup.py by myself. The script has some errors, when I

>> resolve them, I realized that SCons was installed in lib/ as

>> "*scons-__VERSION__*". How can I change this variable?

> Hi Leandro,

> from what you're describing I think you might be on the wrong

> track. Can you please tell us exactly which "source code" you

> downloaded (full name of the archive?) and tried to install?

> It looks a bit as if you pulled the full source code from the

> repository, and then tried a "setup.py install" immediately. This

> won't work, you have to "bootstrap" SCons first (this will replace

> the __VERSION__ string in all source files automatically, for

> example).

> Yes. That's the case.

> So... What is the workflow for releasing a python egg from the source

> repository?

> We want to know because the package on pypi acts as it installs scons

> but there are no sources downloaded.

I don't think you want to do a full release build...this would require
you to install a proper PDF renderer for creating all the documentation
stuff.

I just checked Leandro's initial mail again, all you try to do is call
"runtest.py" for an external project which is not directly in the source
tree, right?

Have you tried the "-e" option for "runtest.py", as is described in the
"test-framework.rst"?