[Scons-users] Problems installing scons with src/setup.py

Dirk Bächle tshortik at gmx.de
Mon Jan 6 11:37:41 EST 2014

On 06.01.2014 15:37, Leandro Moreno wrote:

> Hello guys. Earlier days I send an e-mail asking if I can use the

> QMTest module and runtest.py outside of SCons.

> I tried install with easy_install and there is a installation problem.

> So, I downloaded the source code and I tried to run src/setup.py by

> myself. The script has some errors, when I resolve them, I realized

> that SCons was installed in lib/ as "*scons-__VERSION__*". How can I

> change this variable?

Hi Leandro,

from what you're describing I think you might be on the wrong track. Can
you please tell us exactly which "source code" you downloaded (full name
of the archive?) and tried to install?
It looks a bit as if you pulled the full source code from the
repository, and then tried a "setup.py install" immediately. This won't
work, you have to "bootstrap" SCons first (this will replace the
__VERSION__ string in all source files automatically, for example).

Please try to download and install the source tarball
"scons-2.3.0.tar.gz" from scons.org instead. Otherwise, please have look
in the file README.rst at sections "Executing SCons without installing"
and "Installation".