[Scons-users] D and SCons

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Sep 8 06:20:01 EDT 2012

On Thu, 2012-09-06 at 09:14 -0700, William Deegan wrote:
[…]

> Are you dropping any existing tools?

No. The dmd tool remains but has been revamped significantly. the gdc
and ldc tools are additions. Currently they are close to copies of each
other. More refactoring is needed to pull out common material.

[…]

> Do you think that we'll need to obsolete any current functionality/behavior in current SCons to integrate your new changes?

I believe not. SCons stays very much as is. It might be good though to
investigate integrating the D linking activity more with the C/C
++/Fortran bits.

[…]

> It might be better if they filed the bugs at tigris so we don't lose track of issues found with D support.

> (having that info in multiple bug trackers means that if the bug resurfaces, we won't realized it happened before)

Indeed. I will remove the issue tracker from that fork and forward
people to Tigris.

[…]

> I'd say create a pull request today, and lets not live on a fork.

With a few more days of one or two people trying it and not finding
gross errors, yes I think I will submit a pull request so that we get
the changes in sooner rather than later.

There will though always be this fork in one guise or another as long as
D tooling is evolving.

I wonder though if deleting a fork repository after a successful pull
request merge and recloning for the next item if work is a good
workflow?

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder t: +44 20 7585 2200 voip: sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net