[Scons-users] D and SCons

William Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Thu Sep 6 12:14:38 EDT 2012

Russel,

On Sep 5, 2012, at 11:42 PM, Russel Winder <russel at winder.org.uk> wrote:

> I have a first cut at a second generation D support in SCons. There are

> separate dmd, gdc and ldc tools all of which appear to work, well they

> pass the few tests there are just now, there needs to be more. Further

> the tools are integrated into the SCons defaulting and selection scheme

> so you should be able to get sensible behaviour with the default

> environment.

Are you dropping any existing tools?

> This latter feature necessitates changing the SCons core code, which

> means it isn't easy to work with the tools in a repository/package

> separate from the SCons core code as was originally being tried

> (successfully). I will I think delete the SCons_D_Support repository to

> avoid trying to keep two codebases in sync. So if you want this up to

> date D support, you will need to use a fork of SCons. But that isn't

> hard, and it is only till there is a pull request, merging of the

> changes and new release of SCons.

Do you think that we'll need to obsolete any current functionality/behavior in current SCons to integrate your new changes?

> The fork of SCons is on BitBucket

> at:https://bitbucket.org/russel/scons_d_tooling

> I will merge in any updates to the mainline so this will always be an

> up-to-date SCons default/tip plus new D support.

> Feel free to clone the repository, there is a mechanism for executing

> scons from the repository (see bootstrap.py) and if anyone has changes

> and pull requests there is the BitBucket system. Until a pull request is

> created and there is a merge to mainline, any bugs in the D tools should

> be reported at https://bitbucket.org/russel/scons_d_tooling/issues

It might be better if they filed the bugs at tigris so we don't lose track of issues found with D support.
(having that info in multiple bug trackers means that if the bug resurfaces, we won't realized it happened before)

> Once a few people have been trying it (in anger, but hopefully not in

> anger) for a while and it appears there are no problems not already

> fixed, then it will be time to create a pull request to merge back into

> the mainline.

I'd say create a pull request today, and lets not live on a fork.