[Scons-users] Library configuration

Gary Oberbrunner garyo at oberbrunner.com
Wed Jun 20 16:27:28 EDT 2012

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 1:37 PM, Guillaume Turri
<guillaume.turri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,

> 2012/6/20 Evan Driscoll <driscoll at cs.wisc.edu>:

>> On 06/20/2012 12:51 AM, Brady Johnson wrote:

>> (2) it would hopefully give some uniformity in how those features are accessed.

>> And while I'm at it, I might as well ask now: does this feature sound (a)

>> awesome, (b) meh, (c) stupid?

> To me, it could be awesome to have a standard way to let the end user

> add options like --with-myLib=xxx, or flags such as LDFLAGS and so on

> (à la autotools!)

I think people use SCons for all kinds of different things. In some
cases this kind of behavior would be perfect; in other cases less so.
I'd suggest you develop it as an add-on to SCons that can go in the
site-scons/ dir, at least for now. That way people who want to set
things up in the way this tool requires would be able to use it. We'd
also then be able to get airtime on it, get feedback, and see how
useful it is in practice, whether it needs tweaks, and so on, before
integrating it in. (I'd still make it optional even if it were built
in.)

Does that make sense?

--
Gary