[Scons-users] Library configuration

Evan Driscoll driscoll at cs.wisc.edu
Wed Jun 20 22:18:39 EDT 2012

On Wednesday, June 20, 2012 02:17:46 PM John Pye wrote:

> The shortcoming here that I see is that SCons is not very good at

> figuring out if what your system provides is a static library, or a

> shared library, and linking to the correct version (or allowing the user

> to choose, in the case that both are there). Attempting to do this stuff

> and simultaneously support multiple compilers probably makes things

> almost impossible (C++ ABI incompatibilities, etc etc).

If the SCons programmer specified a preference for static or dynamic, would it
have to do a manual search of LIBPATH for "$LIBPREFIX<library>$LIBSUFFIX"
(adjusted for a couple complications) and pass that file path directly, and
just eschew "-lfoo" entirely even on GCC?

(Note that I guess this search already happens for dependency/out-of-dateness
checking anyway.)

Evan