[Scons-users] "Targetless" Builder ? Or a target that is not accessible via normal command line / file system.

Chris BeHanna chris at behanna.org
Wed Dec 26 14:54:29 EST 2012

On Dec 26, 2012, at 8:57, Mark Ribau <mribau at realtaentertainment.com> wrote:

> Is there any way to use a python function call as the target (or somehow override the up to date test)? The problem with use a dummy file like that, is that we can't trust the local file system to be in sync with the remote devkit. The remote devkit is shared. We have a way to query the remote devkit.

How is the devkit being shared? If you're using something like NFS prior to NFSv4, caching could leave your build box with stale results.

OTOH, you can certainly write a function to query the state of the devkit, capture its results as a Value Node, and hook that Value Node into your dependency DAG. You could even write a builder to construct that node as a target, which you could then use as a dependency to build your program, and add copying the program to the target box as a PostAction.

--
Chris BeHanna
chris at behanna.org