[Scons-users] "Targetless" Builder ? Or a target that is not accessible via normal command line / file system.

Bill Deegan bill at baddogconsulting.com
Wed Dec 26 13:59:41 EST 2012

Mark,

What should cause the exe to be built?
What should prevent the exe from always being built?

Sounds like (guessing here), that you want the target to effectively be the
exe on your "devkit", but since access to that directory is non-standard
and slow, doing so should be avoided as much as possible?
If so, would running your dir exe be the best way to determine the
datestamp (at least) of your target?
Though if you want to md5sum it, then you might want to copy it back,
and/or copy the md5sum to the devkit (should be small), and then read that
back..
You could use a custom decider.. see the manpage.
http://www.scons.org/doc/production/HTML/scons-man.html

-Bill

On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 7:09 AM, Mark Ribau
<mribau at realtaentertainment.com>wrote:

> What I'm trying to avoid is copying extra files to the devkit, since this

> is a major bottleneck. The devkits only have 100 megabit connections.

> Copying any amount of large data takes forever. Our builds are typically

> 10GB or more in total size. Avoiding copying over files that are already

> up to date would be preferred.

> *

> *

> *

> *

> ----

> *mark ribau*

> *software engineer*

> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:57 AM, Mark Ribau <

> mribau at realtaentertainment.com> wrote:

>> Is there any way to use a python function call as the target (or somehow

>> override the up to date test)? The problem with use a dummy file like that,

>> is that we can't trust the local file system to be in sync with the remote

>> devkit. The remote devkit is shared. We have a way to query the remote

>> devkit.

>> *

>> *

>> *

>> *

>> ----

>> *mark ribau*

>> *software engineer*

>> *corp email: mribau at realtaentertainment.com*

>> On Wed, Dec 26, 2012 at 6:25 AM, Gary Oberbrunner <garyo at oberbrunner.com>wrote:

>>> Hi Mark; the simplest thing is probably to have the builder also write a

>>> local file ("$TARGET.built" or something). SCons really needs a file to

>>> use as the target, to tell whether it's up-to-date or not, as well as to

>>> use as a dependency for further builders.

>>> --

>>> Gary