[Scons-users] Running out of memory while profiling a build. Suggestions?

Mark Ribau mribau at realtaentertainment.com
Wed Dec 26 09:05:55 EST 2012

We are attempting to profile our builds, in order to optimize our really
really long build times. We suspect that our custom builders are the
particular slow point, but we are unsure which. (We have a number of custom
builders, and now that we are fully content populated, our formerly fast
builds are very slow. We are hoping that it's not simply that we have lots
of content and that we just made some poor decisions in implementing some
builders.)

Unfortunately, doing --profile=profile.txt ends up yielding an out of
memory error, while a normal build doesn't.

Our machines already have maxed out their RAM at 16GB. Googling mostly
indicates that Python has no memory max, however most Windows 32-bit
processes have a max of 2GB (3GB w/ a boot option). We are currently using
Python Standalone 2.7.1 (
https://sites.google.com/site/basiclabbook/pythonstandalone) 32-bit on
Windows 7 64-bit.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.
*
*
*
*
----
*mark ribau*
*software engineer
**direct tel/fax: 610.428.3962*
*corp email: mribau at realtaentertainment.com*
***
corp tel: 408.559.6300
1901 s. bascom ave. | 9th fl. campbell, ca 95008

*

*CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: *This e-mail and any accompanying documents
contain confidential information intended for a specific individual
purpose. This information is private and protected by law. If you are not
the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
copying or distribution, or the taking of any action based on the contents
of this information, is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
transmission in error, please delete it. Thank you.