[IGDA_indies] Linux on consoles

Bounty Hunter bounty_hunter at softhome.net
Wed Sep 1 08:03:15 EDT 2004

> Is it possible to develop a game for Linux, stick it on a console, and
> "It Just Works [TM]" ?  Has Linux evolved to the point where it can
> short-circuit the console developers' control of their platforms?  Both
> technically and legally.
I think the problems are more legal than technique. Some hackers made
linux run under X-box (and M$ managed to install a patch without user
authorization to fix that). There is a cluster made of some hundreds of
PS2 running linux.

> I don't see the same scenario as feasible on a PC.  Sure, Linux can just
> boot a PC nowadays.  But consumers don't want to use their PCs this way,
> and it's too unreliable for the developer.  3D HW support, internet
> connections, internet security, switching e-mail apps, and saving links
> in one's web browser are all issues.
I dont underestand.Here the only weak point is 3d support. If you have
nvidia, thats not a problem. If you have ati, thats a minor problem.
Gamers have Nvidia or ATI. If you are aiming to simple 2d games, it
doesnt matters if the user has linux, windows or 3d hardware at all.

> If Linux could run seamlessly under Windows, that could work, but I'm
> not aware of such a capability.
And here is the point of my message, why would you risk to develop FOR
linux, when you can develop crossplatform games and make happy both user
groups? In PC scenario of course. I dont think you can evade legal
issues about using linux on consoles.

Ollen Roy, linarian bounty hunter (level 10). Never use Windows for a
Unix work.