[IGDA_indies] Linux on consoles

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Wed Sep 1 12:12:51 EDT 2004

Bounty Hunter wrote:
> Brandon Van Every wrote:
> >
> > I don't see the same scenario as feasible on a PC.  Sure,
> > Linux can just
> > boot a PC nowadays.  But consumers don't want to use their
> > PCs this way,
> > and it's too unreliable for the developer.  3D HW support, internet
> > connections, internet security, switching e-mail apps, and
> > saving links in one's web browser are all issues.
>
> I dont underestand.Here the only weak point is 3d support. If you have
> nvidia, thats not a problem. If you have ati, thats a minor problem.
> Gamers have Nvidia or ATI. If you are aiming to simple 2d games, it
> doesnt matters if the user has linux, windows or 3d hardware at all.

*Consumers* have all kinds of stuff.  Who said I wanted to limit myself
to only Gamers?  I certainly wouldn't want to develop a reputation as a
company for products that may work or may not!  And, you're skipping my
comments about the user's environment.  Booting your PC to play a game
went out with MSDOS.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur