[IGDA_indies] Linux on consoles

C Ratchet zratchet at mindspring.com
Tue Aug 31 18:49:05 EDT 2004

On Aug 31, 2004, at 5:54 PM, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

> In OCaml-land I argue with UNIX crumudgeons a lot.  They don't like
> Windows and can't wrap their head around the idea of someone being
> oriented towards consumer applications on the dominant consumer
> platform.  I have a master plan to change that situation, and allies,
> but it'll be some time.  From the friction has resulted some
> interesting
> speculation, however:
>
> Is it possible to develop a game for Linux, stick it on a console, and
> "It Just Works [TM]" ?  Has Linux evolved to the point where it can
> short-circuit the console developers' control of their platforms?  Both
> technically and legally.

Sony Playstation 2 has a legal Linux Kit sold by them, not sure how
feasible it is for gaming, but its there.

> I don't see the same scenario as feasible on a PC.  Sure, Linux can
> just
> boot a PC nowadays.  But consumers don't want to use their PCs this
> way,
> and it's too unreliable for the developer.  3D HW support, internet
> connections, internet security, switching e-mail apps, and saving links
> in one's web browser are all issues.

True.

> If Linux could run seamlessly under Windows, that could work, but I'm
> not aware of such a capability.

Have you looked at Cygwin and/or CoLinux? Or Fink for the MacOSX
version...

> Soooo... the answer I'm looking for is "Yes, Linux is starting to be
> possible on consoles now."

Yes it is, at least on PS2, and modders do it on Gamecube and XBox. Not
sure what OS the XGameStation and Phantom use.