[IGDA_indies] the LGPL

Thomas H. Buscaglia thb at gameattorney.com
Tue Aug 31 08:40:16 EDT 2004

Actually, what you are looking for is an iron clan guarantee, not a
lawyer.  Unfortunately, the interpretation of the law is never as cut and
dried as most people think.  It tends toward fuzzy and more often than not,
the meaning of any law or contract is debatable.  In fact, this is how
lawyers make a living - if everything was clear and concise, lawyers
wouldn't have anything to do...<g>.   IMHO, any lawyer who tell you
definitively "what the law is" is probably BSing.

With that as a disclaimer I will admit, I can not give you all the sort of
answer you are looking for here.   In part because my technical
understanding of this stuff is limited.  And in part because I have not yet
encountered a dispute in these areas and, like any good lawyer, I only
research what applies to my current clients' needs.  And aside from some
discussions with the gamebeavers - www.gamebeavers.com - who are putting
together a shared and commonly owned game asset library, I have yet to
delve into the complexities of open source and shared source licenses,
though I suspect I will have to eventually.

But Brian's quote from their site seems to lay out the manner in which the
library can be used.  I suppose the easiest thing to do might be to contact
whoever is responsible for enforcing the license agreement and asking them
their opinion.  Though I suspect that they merely patched together a
license in a way that you might patch together code some from here (open
source) and some original text as well to get it sort of like what they
think they need...

There are other concerns that should be taken into account.  If you intend
to self distribute your game or do a freeware thing, these open and shared
source libraries are fine.  But if you have intentions to license or sell
your game to a publisher, you should probably stick with licensed
commercial code base and original IP.  Otherwise the publisher will be very
hesitant (at best) to consider your project, no matter how compelling the
content.  Of course, open source, is fine for the demo, so long as you can
redo it for a commercial version.

GL & HF!

Tom B

At 01:48 AM 8/31/2004, you wrote:
> [...]

*    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *    *
Thomas H. Buscaglia, Esquire
T. H. Buscaglia and Associates
80 Southwest 8th Street
Suite 2100 - Brickell Bayview Center
Miami, FL  33130
Tel (305) 324-6000
Fax (305) 324-1111
Toll Free 888-848-GLAW
http://www.gameattorney.com

Confidential:  This email contains communications protected by the
attorney-client privilege.  If you do not expect such a communication from
Thomas H. Buscaglia, please delete this message without reading it or any
attachment, and then notify Mr. Buscaglia at thb at intelaw.com of this
inadvertent misdelivery.