[IGDA_indies] getting rich

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Wed Sep 1 12:07:20 EDT 2004

Bounty Hunter wrote:
> Brandon J. Van Every escribió:
> >
> > And I've already lost $80K,
>
> Man, you could have funded the development of some complete
> game engine
> for your private use! there are lots of work out there you could have
> bought and open source projects dieing due to lack of interest.

But really I spent, let's see, $100K over 6 years and except for the beginning, never had more than $10K at once.  I definitely had some problems focusing on writing code for the first 4 years.  Too much e-mail.  But, I did hone my game design sensibilities in that time.  When I really started running out of money is when I really started coding a lot.  After 9 months of 60 hour weeks I conceded disaster.  Since a year ago I have indeed been looking at open source this-and-that.  Went through a Python phase, moved on to OCaml.  Went through a "try to work with open source game projects" phase, found them to be useless.  I'm still interested in The Nebula Device but dealing with C++ is a PITA.  I'm not yet sure if I'm going to graft OCaml support onto that, or just write an OCaml-based OpenGL engine.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

"The pioneer is the one with the arrows in his back."
                          - anonymous entrepreneur