[IGDA_indies] the LGPL

Brandon J. Van Every vanevery at indiegamedesign.com
Tue Aug 31 00:31:28 EDT 2004

Jeremy Noetzelman wrote:

> There is also some dispute whether or not the LGPL requires you to
> distribute object files with your release, as it requires
> that an end user
> must be able to re-link with his own version of the LGPL'd code.

Indeed, I am still confused on this very point.  I had thought that
linking with a dynamic link library as per LGPL Version 2.1 is good
enough, because a .DLL can simply be drop-in replaced?  So long as the
interface doesn't change.  I don't believe the LGPL requires one to
maintain compatibility if the user breaks the library interface.

If anyone finds a good website explaining all of this, it would be great
if they would post the link here.  I've chased these issues around some
on the web, didn't find a solid answer, and don't really feel like
trying again right now.

Brandon Van Every           Seattle, WA

OCaml offers superior high level language features,
superior type safety, and performance.
http://caml.inria.fr