[IGDA_indies] what are people actually focused on?

Tom Spilman tom at sickheadgames.com
Wed Jul 28 17:02:30 EDT 2004

> So what are your passions?  Forget about what the indies or
> the industry 'needs'.  What do you actually care about?

 Spending the rest of my career writing games that I (and hopefully others)
enjoy.  To do this well I have to find ways to compete with the flood of
mainstream titles.  So my short term goal is to do it better, faster, and
cheaper.

 So far I've found that it's heavily leveraging of cheap or free tech and
not writing "a graphics engine" or implementing my own scripting language.
I've grown to feel that time spent doing these things is pointless more
often than not.  Engines like Ogre3D and Torque are very useable if you just
do things their way.

 I'm also interested in algorithmic generation of content.  This can be as
simple as artist tools, to the random garbage blown around the city streets
of Grand Theft Auto, or generation of entire city blocks.

  Tom Spilman
  Co-owner | Programmer
  www.sickheadgames.com