[IGDA_indies] GDC indie-gathering

Jason Della Rocca indies@igda.org
Mon, 09 Feb 2004 10:05:36 -0500

Hi all,

Great to see the imaginative discussions re: GDC action.

Bottom line, you guys can do what you want - as long as you have the
time/energy to do it. As Brandon mentioned, SIGs are meant to be fairly
flat/organic groups - whoever wants to step up, usually can.

A few points:

- don't bother with flyers. They'll get binned faster than you can hand
them out. Remember, GDC is info overload and developers get handed tons and
tons of stuff. I would say simple word-of-mouth, and post-GDC follow-up
would be most effective (ie, a PS in a follow email saying "hey, don't
forget about the SIG I mentioned")...

- if you feel the need to hand something out, I'd suggest a business card
format "flyer". Go to Kinkos buy a small pack of printable/tearable card
sheets. Print the logo, the url, and 3 bullets of what the SIG is. Then
hand those out to seemingly INTERESTED PEOPLE (of course, in addition to
your usual business card). What's better with biz cards is that people
usually hold on to them during/after the show and they usual go through
them when the get back...

- in terms of a SIG gathering on the schedule, it is too late. I goofed and
was not able to get things together (ie, find a volunteer) before the
deadline several months ago...

- be sure to look over the schedule as I believe there are several indie
oriented sessions on the list (eg, "secrets of successful indies" is one I
remember)

Regards,
	Jason

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jason Della Rocca
Program Director
International Game Developers Association

t: 514-426-1162
f: 514-426-1201
Montreal, Canada

http://www.igda.org/blogs/realitypanic/