[kj] Pink Floyd and Two-Degrees of Killing Joke:

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 17 11:38:26 EDT 2014

I loved the mixture of punishing KJ riffs with techno/ambient elements. I was a big fan of the 90s ambient scene (William Orbit was amazing), so I was pretty happy to find an album that straddled the worlds of ambient and metal.

Obviously Democracy sucked. I can support the idea of transforming the band's sound with each album, but that should be part of the recording process, not a last-minute stab at fucking about with a finished album. I would rather have heard another album in the same vein as Pandemonium; it might not have been wholly original, but at least it wouldn't have been wholly shite either.

EDAVRE and Pandemonium saw the band getting a lot of new publicity and fame with a new generation of fans. Democracy (and their own self-destructive tendencies) pretty much killed that off, leaving us with another protracted hiatus.

Jim.

NOW AVAILABLE: Flowers From Hell: The Modern Japanese Horror Film, by Jim Harper (Noir Publishing).

"Fascinating overview of the Japanese horror boom... Comprehensive, in-depth and slickly presented."- DVD Monthly.

Available from Noir Publishing, Amazon.co.uk, Waterstones and all good bookstores.