[kj] Pink Floyd and Two-Degrees of Killing Joke:

nicholas fitzpatrick gasw30 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 17 07:23:23 EDT 2014

Youth's attempts in the 90s to inject dance music into KJ, mainly Pandemonium I suppose, were a bit lame and smacked of being desperate.
The early 90s must have been a difficult period for KJ, like other post-punkers. Throughout the 80s they were strongly associated with the post-punk/alternative scene, which had an easy-to-find audience through the NME and Melody Maker – pop papers which were equally entrenched in the alternative genre.
But in the late 80s and early 90s the aforementioned publications brushed aside The Cult, Mission and Jesus & MC from the front cover and replaced them with dance/indie bands like Happy Mondays, Stone Roses and PWEI. Stalwart bands from the alternative scene had a bit of an identity crisis as their fans started popping Es and listening to something else. Even U2 lost their way here until coming back with the funky sounding 'Achtung Baby'. Jesus & MC had a go at the dance thing with 'Blues from a gun'. The Cult couldn't dance if they tried so went full-on hard rock.
It might have been an accident, but KJ had a crack at metal with 'Dirt...' and found a bit of an audience when metal rags like Kerrang started paying attention. But then Youth came back onboard and, metaphorically, dished out the Es to Jaz and Geordie resulting in Pandemonium.
Pandemonium is a great album despite, rather than because of, the dancey excursions of Youth.
KJ had done the earlier dance thing – i.e disco/funk – very well in 1980 because they were connected with that scene. But I can't imagine Jaz and Geordie were scouring the M25 c1989 looking for raves and trying to get sorted for Es and whizz. I expect Youth was, but he was probably driving the wrong way around the motorway, stoned, and dealing with oncoming traffic.
Ha-ha. Youth gets such a hard time on the Gathering sometimes, but let's just remind ourselves: he's brilliant!