[kj] Ghosts of Ladbroke Grove - wha' happen?

- taseti at supanet.com
Sat Jan 25 07:35:46 EST 2014

Hi,
For all those curious as to "What's happened to Ladbroke Grove?", here
be some clues/answers.

By chance, I perked up earlier today when I heard the phrase 'Ladbroke
Grove' on the wireless. The programme seems to have been a trip down
memory lane. It is billed as:

"BBC Radio 4 - Reimagining the City, Series 2, Birmingham",
- "Musician Soweto Kinch offers a different vision of a city he's loved
all his life - Birmingham."

Even though the main focus is Birmingham, mid-way through it does
however make a brief reference to an old haunt being Ladbroke Grove, the
subsequent gentrification theroef, followed by an exodus to Birmingham.
Mr. Kinch also discusses the ethos where it is all about the art (rather
than another hit single). The programme is largely a trip down memory
lane with a lot of music sampled from the period. I hope some will find
this of interest.

Trek along to - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b03s645s - and you
should find an online listenable version of today's programme, I'll be
having a re-listen myself.

On another note, just received my delightfully presented copy of
'Letters From Cythera' yesterday. It is a most enticing read and my
thanks go to Jaz for (living and) documenting all this.

Matt/