[kj] new Black Sabbath albul

T.B. planetary at socal.rr.com
Wed Jun 12 19:31:59 EDT 2013

After giving the actual CD and the 4 bonus tracks some serious time, I feel
a bit let down. Of the four bonus tracks, I kind of like Methademic which
has a Dio era sound to it. "Live Forever" and Damaged Soul" are the only
two tracks I really like. Yeah, the lyrics on some of the songs are really,
really awful. There's a lot of a kind of generic "nu-metal" vibe on a lot
of the tracks that I don't care for and the drumming and overall drum sound
just blows (to be fair, I place a lot of blame on that on Rick Rubin - he
makes most drummers sound like they're hitting tissue boxes). It's funny
the original 70's Ozzy era albums sound a lot better and have more
personality, even the first few that were cheaply recorded in a few days'
time.

BTW, my favorite Sabbath album remains the Born Again lp with Ian Gillan.

T.B.