[kj] new Black Sabbath albul

Neil Perry 65snoopy at gmail.com
Wed Jun 12 04:11:16 EDT 2013

I like it, mostly for Ozzy's performance. There is little heavy rock
wailing and screeching,
he is almost singing in a monotone at times, quite sinister. Read an
interview recently
and Rick Rubin had him sing in his natural register instead of using studio
trickery
to go higher and then realising he can't do it live. That said, I hate
Rubin's production.
Ironic that at a time when so many bands are going out of their way to do
the 70s
analogue thing - Electric Wizard, Graveyard, Kadavar etc - Sabbath come out
sounding way too clean and glossy. Still, there are three or four excellent
songs -
and Age of Reason is phenomenal, the only track that comes close to Bill
Ward's
jazzy style of playing. Ozzy said he sees this as the follow up to Sabbath
Bloody Sabbath -
35-odd years late! - and I sort of see what he means in terms of song
construction and
general vibe. As a last attempt to rescue the legacy I think they pulled it
off, but with
Bill Ward it could have been superb.
PS In God Is Dead or End of the Beginning, can't remember which, Ozzy
rhymes 'doom' and
'tomb' and 'gloom'... which made me smile. The unholy trinity of Sabbath
lyrics!