[kj] OT: Lydon, US v UK punk

Rob Moss rob.moss at gmx.com
Wed Feb 2 11:48:31 EST 2011

The thing is that we in the UK were suffering from incredible hardship and deprivation in the mid 70s. Bands like The Faces and the Pub Rock scene combined with the afore mentioned conditions mutated into this thing called punk.

Yes there was the NY scene and yes there were the Dolls and yes the energy was exciting and Mclaren did see it and did use it BUT it was going to happen as a reaction to It all anyway.

But the two are not the same. The states would have done it's thing. The UK would have done it's thing. The two were not joined. They were very very different and for it to be continually claimed that one begat the other is wrong. American punk was nothing like English punk was it? For a start, most of the bands were shit.

As for the blues Cliff, how far back do you want to take it? They were playing stringed instruments in England in the fourteenth century. These mutated into the guitar. Blues players played guitar therefore, using your logic, the blues were/was invented in the UK in the fourteenth century.

And yes. My tongue is firmly in my cheek and I am delighted that my dear friends stateside have jumped up and bitten just like every time this one comes up.

I love it!

Silly fuckers!!!

On 2 Feb 2011, at 14:12, Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

> We've been over this too many times.

> Had there not been the Stooges, the Velvet Underground, the Modern Lovers, the MC5 and the Ramones (all Yanks), there would not have been a UK punk. Yes, British Punk evolved into an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT THING, but one inarguably led to the other. Full stop.

> As much as I love Television, though, I never thought they were particularly "punk" (by any definition). Art-rockers who dressed like junkies but played a brand of floridly ornate guitar rock that isn't any less masturbatory than the most gratuitous prog.

> Alex in NYC

> On Feb 2, 2011, at 8:03 AM, Jim Harper wrote:

>> I think it's obvious there was in NYC there was a creative vital and original musical movement happening in the late 70s. But much as I love Talking Heads, Blondie and the mighty Television, I have a really hard time connecting it with the UK punk movement. I don't know if he came to the UK, but in '76 Verlaine would probably have been burned at the stake...

>> Just my thoughts...

>> Jim.

>> --- On Wed, 2/2/11, Alexander Smith <vassifer at earthlink.net> wrote:

>> Oh yes -- `cos Lydon's ALWAYS been ENTIRELY CORRECT and ACCURATE ABOUT ABSOLUTELY *EVERY*THING, hasn't he?

>> Alex in NYC

>> On Feb 2, 2011, at 3:57 AM, Rob Moss wrote:

>>> Quite right.

>>> Punk rock.

>>> America.