[kj] (OT) McClaren funeral write up from the NME

gingoblin at easynet.co.uk gingoblin at easynet.co.uk
Sat Apr 24 08:00:59 EDT 2010

At 20:52 23/04/2010 -0500, Oliver wrote:

>Was London Dungeon around before or after the Misfits song of the same

>title? (The Misfits/Glenn Danzig wrote it in 1979).

>The Damned and The Misfits did a brief, legendary tour of England in 1979

>(any flyers fromt his anyone? live recordings? posters???) when Glenn

>Danzig and one or two other members of the Misfits got thrown in jail for

>... wha reason, I cannot recall. That's when Glenn Danzig wrote "London

>Dungeon," in jail in England, and it went on to become one of the Misfits'

>most beloved songs.

>Like Black Flag playing with Venom, or Minor Threat playing with PiL, The

>Misfits playing wit The Damned in England has always been one of those

>lineups that has fascinated the hell out of me.

I think London Dungeon musta been open in 1979... I recall going there when
I was pretty young. So maybe Glenn and co. actually went, or at least saw
ads for it!

I think the Misfits only actually did one date on that Damned tour. Whole
thing seemed to be a bit of misunderstanding. I think the Damned (Vanian?)
had said something about how the Misfits should tour with the Damned, and
the next thing was the Misfits turned up in London having taken that as an
invite onto the next tour. Of course there was no cash etc, and the Misfits
walked.

The Damned also played with Minor Threat. And Bad Brains. Man, I need to
get that time machine up and running...

Dave in Edinburgh