[kj] (OT) McClaren funeral write up from the NME

B. Oliver Sheppard bigblackhair at sbcglobal.net
Sat Apr 24 17:30:31 EDT 2010

Yeah, there are some amazing pics of Ian MacKaye of Minor Threat hanging
out with The Damned at a Wash DC record store.

I posted one of them on my Facebook. Minor Threat always totally
respected The Damned. Henry Rollins - for whatever this is worth - said
seeing Minor Threat play with The Damned was his favorite show, ever.

About The Misfits touring with The Damned in 1979, what I recall as well
is Capt. Sensible had made some offhand remark once to Jerry Only or
Glenn Danzig that they should tour together. The Misfits took this
seriously. Next thing The Damned know, the Misfits have flown over to
England (!) and fully expect a tour with them. Apparently Capt Sensible
and/or Dave Vanian felt so bad about this that they personally arranged
for the Misfits to play at least a few (or one?) dates with them.

Glenn Danzig also wrote the Samhain song "Archangel" for The Damned, but
The Damned never picked it up, so Danzig mad it into a Samhain song.

Both the Misfits and Minor Threat really looked up to The Damned, and
justly so! :)

-0liver