[kj] [Bulk] Re: Top 50 songs of 2000-2010

Alexander Smith vassifer at earthlink.net
Tue Apr 20 07:09:31 EDT 2010

When I was a kid, there was this kid in my high school named Bill
Jarema. He considered himself a drummer, though no one ever heard him
play or saw his kit or anything. He used to come to school with his
fingers all taped up like Stewart Copeland and such. He'd pontificate
a great lengths about how the drummer for Elton John's band (or insert
incidental random rock drummer's name here) was a shit drummer. It
wasn't until my friend Kathleen -- who didn't give a good honest crap
about music one way or the other -- just shut him down.

"Bill," she calmly asserted, "has it ever occurred to you that Elton
John's drummer might just be doing what he's required to do? Maybe
Elton doesn't *let* him show off his chops."

In the instance of the White Stripes, by no means am I suggesting that
Neil Peart should be losing sleep, but Meg provides the foundation for
Jack to carry the weight of the band (which, to my mind, he handily
does). Moreover, at no point did the White Stripes ever compare
themselves to Emerson Lake & Palmer. I don't think they *CARE* that
Meg isn't a virtuoso, but she capably fills the requirement.

I saw them three times without a complaint.

And as far as whether Meg is hot or not, to each their own.

Alex in NYC