[kj] HOB

folk devil folkdevil_23 at hotmail.com
Mon Oct 6 17:24:16 EDT 2008

Thank you, Mr TB :)> From: partyslammer at socal.rr.com> To: gathering at misera.net> Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 14:04:44 -0700> Subject: Re: [kj] HOB> > "folk devil" wrote:> > Has anyone been to the HOB lately?> What is the security like? I am hearing things said like 'it's tougher than > LAX' and things :[> I was at El Rey the other night and the security was awful. Grabbing peoples > wrists, or even grabbing cameras out of their hands, to stop them taking > pics..so I guess we're all going to have to be WAY within those stupid > perimeter lines they draw...> > ++++++++++> > I've been there many times and I was just at the Hollywood HoB about a month > ago catching Kings X and Extreme (surprisingly good show, especially from > Kings X, btw). To be honest, I really *do not* like that place. Yes, > security can be pretty strict and harsh and there are a few genuine dicks > who regularly work the place. The do a fairly thorough pat-down search at > the door (and the line moves *very* slowly) although they don't use metal > detectors. They allow cel phones and Blackberry/iPhone type devices but not > regular cameras, even digital ones so you want to sneak one in, > be.........sneaky.> > They discourage moshing and will bodily haul any overly aggressive, rowdy > people up front right out the door. Another negative is they always seem to > really max out the PA sound to the point it distorts to a painful, sonic > mush, something which in the case of bands I've seen there in the past like > Ministry (and likely KJ) would lead me to recommend bringing earplugs. > Probably the thing that bugs me most about the place, is the show the same 4 > or 5 promo videos usually for whoever is playing there soon on a screen > hanging in front of the stage. Pray no country bands are playing there soon > because you'll have those band's names and songs burned into your brains > before KJ comes on.> > On the positive side, anywhere on the reasonably small floor somewhat in the > middle is great to watch the band as long as you're over about 5'8". The > place holds about 1,300 people and they have plenty of bars to serve > overpriced drinks and beer. If you drive, I highly recommend parking in the > lot across the street on Sunset Blvd from the HoB next to the shuttered > Sunset Marquee hotel. They don't "stack park" cars so you don't get boxed > in, it's a short 1 block walk and it's usually priced about $10. DO NOT > park in the HoB parking lot as it's all valet and it will take you forever > to get your car after the show ends.> > T.B. > > _______________________________________________> Gathering mailing list> Gathering at misera.net> http://four.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/gathering