[kj] HOB

TB partyslammer at socal.rr.com
Mon Oct 6 17:04:44 EDT 2008

"folk devil" wrote:

Has anyone been to the HOB lately?
What is the security like? I am hearing things said like 'it's tougher than
LAX' and things :[
I was at El Rey the other night and the security was awful. Grabbing peoples
wrists, or even grabbing cameras out of their hands, to stop them taking
pics..so I guess we're all going to have to be WAY within those stupid
perimeter lines they draw...

++++++++++

I've been there many times and I was just at the Hollywood HoB about a month
ago catching Kings X and Extreme (surprisingly good show, especially from
Kings X, btw). To be honest, I really *do not* like that place. Yes,
security can be pretty strict and harsh and there are a few genuine dicks
who regularly work the place. The do a fairly thorough pat-down search at
the door (and the line moves *very* slowly) although they don't use metal
detectors. They allow cel phones and Blackberry/iPhone type devices but not
regular cameras, even digital ones so you want to sneak one in,
be.........sneaky.

They discourage moshing and will bodily haul any overly aggressive, rowdy
people up front right out the door. Another negative is they always seem to
really max out the PA sound to the point it distorts to a painful, sonic
mush, something which in the case of bands I've seen there in the past like
Ministry (and likely KJ) would lead me to recommend bringing earplugs.
Probably the thing that bugs me most about the place, is the show the same 4
or 5 promo videos usually for whoever is playing there soon on a screen
hanging in front of the stage. Pray no country bands are playing there soon
because you'll have those band's names and songs burned into your brains
before KJ comes on.

On the positive side, anywhere on the reasonably small floor somewhat in the
middle is great to watch the band as long as you're over about 5'8". The
place holds about 1,300 people and they have plenty of bars to serve
overpriced drinks and beer. If you drive, I highly recommend parking in the
lot across the street on Sunset Blvd from the HoB next to the shuttered
Sunset Marquee hotel. They don't "stack park" cars so you don't get boxed
in, it's a short 1 block walk and it's usually priced about $10. DO NOT
park in the HoB parking lot as it's all valet and it will take you forever
to get your car after the show ends.

T.B.