[kj] ot: We Want Everyone - Facebook & The New American Right

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Mon Mar 17 18:19:19 EDT 2008

A lot of us went dark at that Manic twat for trying to sell us his
merchandise when this list was created for KJ fans to discuss KJ etc...so I
suppose you could say Facebook conjures in some people a similar
sentiment...although I agree the circumstances are a bit different. One of
the author's main gripes is the cynical commodititisation,
electronification, and distancification of basic human interaction, if you
follow my invented words. The popularity contest with friends lists, that's
the kind of stuff that REALLY gets on my goat, personally. I mean what,
aren't all the bullshit messages on billboards, tv, magazines, movies etc
enough to convince us that life is all about material wealth, populatiry,
and physical beauty?! The message is so overwhelmingly
prevalent...personally it disgusts me. Some areas seem to be chock full of
people all with the perfect haircut, sunglasses, clothes, car etc, and they
just radiate smug / superior. It's sickly. I could easily turn into one of
those people if I wanted, but why? I'd quite honestly prefer hanging out
with EMOs :)

Re. the sale of personal information to corporates (personal information
such as bands you like, your location, age, gender, etc). I think he has a
point, and I think it's relevant to discuss the motives of the creators of
Facebook too. He may have gone a bit rabid on it...perhaps.

In terms of conspiracy 'theories'...a question: When a conspiracy theory
becomes a conspiracy reality...do people take notice? Another question...how
many people think that Kennedy was assassinated by Lee Harvey Oswald? How
many people with any basic understanding of physics, think that...?

As Bill Hicks said...Back and to the left...back and to the left...