[kj] Blog entry at that new MySpace page of the KJ "documentary"

Brendan Quinn bq at soundgardener.co.nz
Thu Jun 12 20:56:09 EDT 2008

'Doomsaying, apocalyptic' etc...motherfucker you don't listen to anything
else! NO ONE on the whole list listens to more doomy shit than you :)

And simply singing about it doesn't mean that you actually mean it as
anything other than a reslisation that THIS IS WHERE WE ARE HEADING, or,
possibly, that hey...the destructive side is part of us, and perhaps we're
shitting ourselves by slaking our thirst for it with tv footage of war and
disasters, bullshit dramas, watching all these fucked up celebrities crash
and burn etc...all the while telling ourselves we're different...while we
feed off of it, vicariously.

You couldn't find a stronger case in point than Vicarious by Tool:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg

Or Black Hole Sun and Blow Up the Outside World By Soundgarden
Asteroid by Killing Joke, perhaps Zennon as well (to me at least)

Even Queen! Hammer to Fall - "for he who grew up tall and proud, in the
shadow of the mushroom cloud, convinced our voices can't be heard, we just
want to scream it louder and louder and louder...we're just waiting for the
hammer to fall"

Secondly, echoing a sentiment or putting it into words ("Our destination is
nowhere, our feelings are destroyed") doesn't mean you espouse those
feelings...it can often be a characterisation, sarcasm etc.

If you have the XXV DVD check out Jaz talking about planting a forest in a
day. Or the most spinal tap moment in all music history - TWO VILLAGES! Guy
ain't a nihilist and never was, that early stuff was an echo of the
zeitgeist. Like most of what the Pistols did.

Finally, I may be wrong, but I reckon you've taken one of the most fringe
anti-banking groups and made out like that's where Jaz is coming from. For
every bunch of right-wing tossers like that there's a hundred totally decent
(yet slightly unwashed) hippies like Bongo, Greg and I...who are looking at
it from the opposide side of the political spectrum...Jaz isn't a far right
nutter, come on.